Oh dear, I've moved on to labeling them merely by month, that's a bad sign. I'm about a month behind so bear with me...
Sunday, April 08, 2012
My sister turned me onto this recipe when she was here visiting. I love Tom Yum soup and was excited that this recipe has easy to find ingredients in addition to being quick and easy to make. The nice thing about this recipe is that there is a lot of wiggle room in ingredient choices. This was the original recipe and I've made some small revisions (alterations are in italics) that are reflected in my version below.
This recipe yields enough for 2 sizable servings and it keeps really nicely.
3-4 cups chicken stock
1 stalk lemongrass, lower 1/3 finely minced
zest of 1 lime plus a squeeze of it's juice
12-14 medium or large raw shrimp, shelled
2 Tbsp fish sauce or 1-1 1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
generous handful fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 green and/or red bell pepper, sliced (I prefer to skip the peppers)
1/2 can coconut milk
1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, sliced
2-3 stalks green onion
1. Heat stock on medium to high heat in a deep cooking pot. Add minced lemongrass, including upper parts of the stalk, to the broth and boil 5-6 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Reduce heat to a nice simmer. Then add garlic, red pepper flakes, lime, green onions, jalapeno and mushrooms to broth. Continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
3. Add shrimp and simmer 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and plump.
4. Turn heat down to low and add the coconut milk and fish (or oyster) sauce. Taste the soup and adjust to taste. If too sour, add 1 tsp. brown sugar. For a richer, creamier soup add more coconut milk.
5. Serve garnished with fresh coriander.
Monday, April 02, 2012
Sunday, April 01, 2012
I'm embarrassingly far behind in my photo-a-day resolution in posting and a little in taking. There's been a few days missed here and there and I'm trying to get back into the groove.
1. A rainy day 2. My empty birthday drink 3. Making corrections to my S 4. The Savannah Theater marquee 5. My favorite drink, an Iced Americano, out of a mason jar at Foxy Loxy 6. A rainy day of wandering for type inspiration 7. My computer set-up for type design 8. My birthday present from my sister that was the hardest box to track down 9. Fish-eye lens experimenting in class 10. A beautiful blue sky