Tuesday, December 13, 2011

adventures in cooking: chocolate and peanut butter squares

I took a little weekend trip to Indianapolis to visit friends and wanted to come armed with lots of chocolate and candies. I find that everyone is excited to see you when you come bearing food!


My original plan was to make homemade caramels which I attempt to tackle each year, and each year I fail somewhat miserably. This year was semi-successful because I came away with one delicious batch and a second that never moved beyond the gooey stage. The back-up plan was chocolate and peanut butter squares that were a heck of a lot less time consuming and (maybe) better tasting.

The caramel catastrophe happened at about 10 p.m. so a late night run to the grocery store was in order because I was short just one ingredient. Luckily, making the chocolate and peanut butter squares took no time at all! These proved to be the perfect last minute dessert!

 The recipe:

1 pound white chocolate
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream

I first lined an 9x13" dish with wax paper to make removing the chocolate easy once it had set up. Next time I make this I think I'll use a slightly smaller pan so my squares come out a littler thicker. 

Next, melt the white chocolate in the microwave for about one minute and stir until creamy. Add the peanut butter and blend until smooth.

Spread mixture into the prepared pan and refrigerate for about an hour until firm.

In a saucepan over medium heat combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream. Stir constantly until smooth and creamy then layer it on top of the firm peanut butter layer. Refrigerate overnight (or about 3 hours if you're in a hurry) and then lift it out with the wax paper and cut into squares.


Enjoy!

I found the original recipe on Souffle Bombay and stayed pretty true to her instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment