Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Quaker – A typeface


This is probably my biggest design accomplishment to date, and it's only halfway done.

This quarter I took the course Typeface Design where I began work on my first typeface entitled Quaker. So far Quaker includes uppercase glyphs, numbers, and primary punctuation. I'll continue working on them next quarter and complete the full set.

It was inspired by a vintage canvas sugar bag that I saw in an antique store. The starting point was the A and during the design process it is one of the few forms that did not experience significant revisions.

I have a lot of process documentation for this project because I intend to show this in my 45 hour MFA review. Below is a video that shows the designing process for the original six key glyphs and the E. I have over 10,000 frames from the duration of the project so I have to find a way to display them without it becoming an hour long motion picture. I think it is safe to say that I would be the ONLY person interested in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment